Monday, May 25, 2009

To retouch or not to retouch....

There are many differing views on the pros and cons of Photoshop. Many say that it is altering reality, while I do agree with this, one can argue that many film processing techniques or even when the film is being shot is altering reality. There are the film purists who are dragged kicking and screaming into the digital world who use Photoshop to the barest minimum. Then there are those who have embraced Photoshop for all of the many things it can do when in the capable hands of a digital photographer. Which is correct?

I am of the opinion - who cares? If you are a photographer who believes in film all the way and in keeping with the purity then do so. Don't judge others for doing as they want with Photoshop. I believe that it all depends on your art. On what you, as a photographer, deem your art or your business. Whether you are an artist or a business photographer one must make the decision of whether or not to include Photoshop for some or all of your images.

I will agree, however, that the over the top retouching of celebrities and models can be out of hand. I believe this for the simple reason that it affects the self-esteem of young and mature people alike all over the world. The other instance where Photoshop has been abused is jourlanism photography. In a genre depicting an event, Photoshop has no place but for very
minimal exposure and color corrections. When the viewer is expecting an almost exact rendering of the events, the photographer should deliver. There is much controversy about this altering of journalistic images today, and with good reason.

I will say this, it is up to you. If you're submitting a photograph into a contest or for work, adhere to the rules and policies it has regarding the use of Photoshop. Fully disclose that it is the work of Photoshop and problems can be averted.

Me, I LOVE Photoshop. It allows me to take a good photo and make it great. It allows me to remove that unsightly zit from my sisters face. It allows me to easily convert an image to black and white or sepia tone and image. I can mimic film processing techniques in minutes versus hours. Photoshop is a quick diverse program which has almost no limit as to what the program to do. Your only limitation is your imagination.

Just a side note - when photography first became popular the art world did not consider it art. It took many years to be reviewed as an art form. Could not the same be said of Photoshop art?

Here are some of my images I have processed in Photoshop. Enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. It's all in the colorful family of creativity, so it's lovely! Your pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete