Friday, May 29, 2009

Stupid Hummingbird...


I was sitting outside a few minutes ago. Swinging back and forth on our lawn swing I was waiting for the much famed hummingbirds to come and use the new feeder my mom purchased. No such luck. No hummingbirds. While I was patiently waiting for the little bird the ice cream truck could be heard driving by.
Yummm. Ice cream. My favorite is the chocolate and banana bullet (or rocket as it is sometimes called. Now all I want is that ice cream.
I remember flagging down the
ice cream truck while playing outside. One of my friends or siblings would hold the ice cream truck while the rest of us ran helter skelter through the house looking for spare change. Then we would all line up outside the truck, hopping from bare foot to bare foot (usually dripping with water from sprinklers or hoses) while anxiously waiting for our turn to purchase that cool sweet treat. One considerate ice cream man had a door mat attached to a piece of rope. When stopped, he would pull the mat out and throw it on the ground so our bare feet would not be harmed by the scorching heat the asphalt would emit.When we were done he would pull the rope and have the mat retunred to the truck! I can remember that the most wanted ice cream was the ICEE. It was basically a giant otter pop. Oh my siblings wanted that one - usually the red one. I can still taste the Tweety Bird ice cream with bubble gum eyes. What was your favorite ice cream truck ice cream?




1 comment:

  1. Definitely an ice cream Snickers bar--but that one was always like 50 cents more than I had...so I'd always get the fudge sickle. The ice cream truck is the ultimate childhood memory, but it always emitted the STRANGEST smell when you were waiting in line to buy one, right?

    ReplyDelete